Reed contacts feature many properties, by which they considerably outperforms standard switching technologies. Components from company Meder electronic belong to a top in this segment.
This is an archive article published 23.08.2012. Some information may no longer be up to date and in line with the current state. Please contact us in case of interest.
A reed switch operates on a principle of deformation of magnetically conductive blades in a magnetic field. It can be said, that the most of reed switches outstanding properties results from the fact, that the reed themselves are small, light-weight and distant only few hundredth of milimeter (at small types). At the same time, they are hermetically sealed in a glass capsule in a vacuum, or more often - filled by an inert gas. Thanks to this construction, Meder electronic reed contacts (and on their basis produced reed relays and reed sensors) feature mainly these properties:
● ability to switch up to 10 000V (common types up to approx. 350V)
● ability to switch or carry extremely small signals (10nV)
● very short operating (switching) time (mS)
● ability to switch or carry extremely small currents (femtoAmper)
● very low parasitic capacitance, that´s why they´re able to transfer even HF signals up to 7 GHz with minimal signal loss
● high isolation resistance, up to 1015 Ohm
● long-term stable and low contact-on resistance (50 miliOhm)
● ability to work in a latching mode
● ability to work in an extreme temperature range (-55 to +200°C)
● reliable even in very demanding dusty, moisty or corrosive environment
● reliable even in vibrating devices (up to 2000 Hz)
● long lifetime. At 5V/10 mA switching, operates reliably up to 1010 cycles.
A reed contact can be considered to be a “sensor” controlled by a magnetic field, the most often by a permanent magnet or by a coil, creating a reed relay. Components with reed contacts can be divided to three basic groups - reed contacts, reed sensors and reed relays. Reed switches themselves, soldered into a PCB, can serve for many applications like for example a monitoring of a position (for example closing of a door, end positions of various mechanisms, …), counting of goods, etc. However, from mounting and mechanical protection point of view, in praxis the reed sensors are usually more convenient, as they are optimized exactly according for a given application. Reed relays offer all above-mentioned features of reed contacts, thus being an ideal choice for example in a measurement equipment, HF/ audio/ video and other devices with small signals, at switching of high voltages and in many other applications. Small dimensions, very low power consumption of common relays (50-125 mW), extreme reliability and a relatively low price are another arguments for usage of components from company Meder electronic.
Many useful informations can be found in documents „The Basic Reed Switch“, „Reedswitch used with permanent magnet“, „Reed Switch used as Reed Relay“ and „Parameters_of_Reed_Switch“.
Selected types are available directly from our stock, upon request we´re able to provide you with any other type from the Meder electronic portfolio.
In case of interest, please contact us at email@example.com.
Reed switch vs a mechanical switch
Do not miss these articles
Do you like our articles? Do not miss any of them! You do not have to worry about anything, we will arrange delivery to you.
Date of publishing 23.08.2012. When you issue article on your website, please give its source: https://www.soselectronic.com/articles/standex-meder/meder-wouldn-t-a-reed-switch-suit-to-youy-1155