Power supplies are devices that generate electrical energy based on a certain physical phenomenon. Electronic power supplies are mostly composed of electronic circuits that provide electrical energy according to the required parameters for the powered electronic circuits, typically by converting electrical energy from another source. The most common and desired parameter in power supplies, besides the output voltage, is its constancy (stability).
According to the method of generating electrical energy, power supplies can be divided into:
- Electrochemical source - batteries and accumulators,
- Photoelectric source - photovoltaic cells,
- Thermoelectric source - thermocouples,
- Electromagnetic source - dynamo and alternator,
- Mechanical source - Van de Graaff generator,
- Electronic source - utilizes electrical energy generated by the above-mentioned sources and converts it according to the required parameters of the powered devices.